View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Is vanilla botter detectable? My experience 
Paying User

Hello all, I wanted to ask your views on whether you think vanilla botter is detectable.

My experience has been mixed recently with the Lighthope - North Dale realm. I have had 5 accounts banned in the last two weeks. None of my characters have made it over level 25. I have been very conscious about safety and not witnessed any obvious reasons of getting caught.

I have experienced a random disconnect with no other characters around. I log in and then I am banned.

My question is vanilla botter possible detected now server side? And if not is there something obvious I am missing? I have been botting for a long time since early days of glider and never experienced this level of bad luck before. Curious for your thoughts.

Thanks

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am
Site Admin

airrunner wrote:
I have experienced a random disconnect with no other characters around. I log in and then I am banned.
That is how bans have happened pretty much always, unless it is server policy to question you first or something. GMs are usually invisible and it shouldn't really matter whether other players are around you at the time when you are banned.

airrunner wrote:
My question is vanilla botter possible detected now server side?
Rather unlikely. The bot does not do anything that normal players can't do and if they were capable of directly detecting it then they would most likely instantly kick/ban you like it happens with speedhacks etc. and not wait for days, weeks or however long it has been.

While it is possible that servers could implement code to check for repeating patterns in skills used or paths walked, having algorithms like that running is extremely memory and CPU heavy and would probably grind their servers to a halt especially considering that it would have to be done for thousands of players at once. Without having some inside information from their side I would simply assume that they do not do anything like this.
The more likely issue is simply that Light's Hope is very populated compared to other servers right now. The same thing has been true for other servers that were popular in the past where people were pissed about getting banned quickly/frequently.
It only takes a single player report to get a GM to watch you and any experienced player, which GMs usually are, can identify botlike behaviour given a little bit of time.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:09 pm
Paying User

Lys wrote:
airrunner wrote:
That is how bans have happened pretty much always, unless it is server policy to question you first or something. GMs are usually invisible and it shouldn't really matter whether other players are around you at the time when you are banned.

airrunner wrote:
My question is vanilla botter possible detected now server side?
Rather unlikely. The bot does not do anything that normal players can't do and if they were capable of directly detecting it then they would most likely instantly kick/ban you like it happens with speedhacks etc. and not wait for days, weeks or however long it has been.

While it is possible that servers could implement code to check for repeating patterns in skills used or paths walked, having algorithms like that running is extremely memory and CPU heavy and would probably grind their servers to a halt especially considering that it would have to be done for thousands of players at once. Without having some inside information from their side I would simply assume that they do not do anything like this.
The more likely issue is simply that Light's Hope is very populated compared to other servers right now. The same thing has been true for other servers that were popular in the past where people were pissed about getting banned quickly/frequently.
It only takes a single player report to get a GM to watch you and any experienced player, which GMs usually are, can identify botlike behaviour given a little bit of time.

Hi Lys, Very grateful for your detailed response.

Your perspective is very logical and very likely the case. This is why i continue to support VH, excellent service.

Thank you for your support.

Aaron

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]